Vision, Mission & Core Values
The Scio School District and community in partnership, will educate, inspire, and develop students to be capable caring adults equipped to create their own future.
Scio School District believes that the function of education is to perpetuate our democratic way of life and to develop each individual to the fullest of student capacity to live that democratic life and to guide and direct the individual through those experiences which will best enable students to gain the understanding, abilities, and controls necessary for successful living in our society. In the practical application of these goals, our school district shall, within the limitations inherent within this system, provide each individual opportunities to:
- Develop the skills necessary to achieve fulfillment as a person and to realize the values of self-worth and pride in his achievements.
- Develop character, discipline and principles to assist him in making sound moral and ethical choices.
- Achieve and maintain strong physical and mental health, while maintaining concern for the safety and well-being of others.
- Develop understanding, appreciation, and individual talents in art, music, drama, and literature.
- Develop an awareness of our changing society and the ability to understand and cope with its problems.
- Learn to use leisure time both productively and responsibly through a positive attitude toward participation in a range of physical, intellectual, and creative leisure time activities.
- Recognize the worth and dignity of the individual and develop a cooperative attitude in human relations.
- Respect people of other cultures and races while acknowledging different political, economic, and social ideals.
- Develop an understanding of our American heritage and the value of using democratic ideals and ideas.
- Develop skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening to effectively communicate ideas and feelings.
- Develop an attitude that will foster the curiosity for life-long learning.
- Examine and use information in a constructive and creative manner by reasoning, logical thinking, and scientific methods.
- Develop skills in the use of mathematics as well as the natural, social and physical sciences.
- Meet student obligation and responsibilities as a citizen and develop a respect for personal and public property.
- Develop an understanding, appreciation, and individual talent for various skills, crafts, and professions, as well as the ability to be a good manager of money, property and resources.
- Understand and appreciate the principles of living in a family group and develop attitudes leading to acceptance of responsibilities as a family member.
We further believe that the school and community must work together to make these goals possible. Therefore, there would be an attitude of mutual respect and confidence between professional educators and patrons of the community.
Below is a list of positive behavior and attitudes that, according to a national poll of employers of high school students, are essential to success in school and the world of work.
- A willingness to learn.
- Self-discipline, including regular and punctual attendance, and dependability.
- The capacity to accept responsibility.
- A realistic and positive attitude toward staff and fellow students.
- A positive attitude toward work and pride in accomplishment.
- The ability to work with or without supervision.
- The ability to set goals and allocate time to achieve them.
- Freedom from substance abuse.
- An understanding of the needs for organization, supervision, rules, policies, and procedures.
- Appropriate dress, grooming, and personal hygiene.