Skip Navigation

Delayed Start of the School Year

Posted: August 22, 2024

Dear parents, guardians, community members,

I hope this message finds you enjoying the last days of the summer break. I wanted to get this message out to you so that you have time to make plans for the start of this school year.

Short Version: The first day of this school year will be Monday, September 9, 2024. 

Long Version: This summer we have had major construction projects at both our Middle School and High School. I’m sure many of you know when you are doing construction projects one often runs into complications and timelines are often extended due to issues that arise from unknown problems. Basically this is a long way of saying that construction will not be at a point where we can safely have students in our High School or Middle School by the originally scheduled start date of Tuesday, September 3, 2024. 

This has caused us to now move the first day of school this year for all students to Monday, September 9, 2024. 

I apologize for any inconvenience that this causes. My top priority will always be the safety of our students and at this time I believe this is the safest of our options. Please keep looking for communication from your students’ individual schools about specifics like open houses or other announcements. 

All sports practices and games will take place as scheduled. Your coaches will communicate with you as needed.

I will update everyone by Tuesday September 3, 2024 if any additional information is needed to be communicated. Again I’m sorry for the inconvenience and we are looking forward to getting school started and seeing our students again!

Steve Martinelli
Superintendent
Scio School District